Monday, February 7, 2011

Sign language failures

We decided to try baby sign language with Helen. It wasn't necessary with Matthew - he was very predictable and talked very early. But Helen (and the rest of us) were becoming frustrated trying to figure out what she needed. Sign language seemed just the thing. She had begun to screech to be picked up and, since screeching at people is not good manners, we opted to teach her "up please" when she wanted to be held. It worked beautifully. She opened and closed her pudgy hand and we immediately obliged. We scooped her up and told her what a smart, smart girl she was. Well, once that smart, smart girl realized how quickly she could train us, she began to sign "up please" all the time. All the time. You had to avoid eye contact to get across the room. Then, since that worked so well for her, she began to use the sign for everything else she wanted. "Up please" also means I'm hungry, I'm bored, I want my brother's legos,etc..... So, we're basically right back where we started. Except her daddy fears she might develop carpal tunnel from all the wrist action. But since it's at least adorable, here it is on tape!

1 comment:

  1. I love watching babies sign! You just need to teach her more signs... she is excited about her new skill. :)

    ReplyDelete