If you know me at all, you know how I am about Helen's hair bows. She wears them all the time..she even has one to match her swimsuit. This is especially true on special occasions. With her first birthday approaching, I've been dreaming up all the details. Last week, I finally got the chance to start on her party dress. She was down for a nap, so out came the sewing machine. For Matthew, nap times are a rare moment to pull out his Legos without Helen eating the pieces or clamoring for attention from her "bub". But this day, he asked for fabric and a sewing needle. He often helps me sew, and I was so anxious to get started, I handed the supplies over without question and we both went to work. Finally, I was wrapping up for the afternoon and he came over. His hands were behind his back and his grin spread ear to ear.
Momma, I made something for Helen. It's a bow for her party. And it matches her dress!
I wish I could say I was thrilled, and that is the reaction Matthew saw. But inside?
What am I supposed to do now? I have a custom bow ready to order. How is that going to look in her pictures? How am I going to get around this one? She cannot wear that thing.
But then, I looked at my little guy..beaming with pride at his gift and with love for a little sister that spends most of her day as his somewhat annoying shadow. He had given up his free time to make a gift for someone who doesn't even know to say thank you. And the decision was made. She'll wear it. Mostly because he'll be so proud. But also because I desperately want my Princess to learn what my Pirate already knows. That giving up what you want for someone you love is a precious thing. Even if they don't even know you did it.
Friday, June 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is a beautiful story and it should be told to your children for many years to come... and then told to your grandchildren too!
ReplyDeleteUm...I have tears in my eyes from reading this! Jenn, you are too sweet! You have such an amazing heart and you are such a wonderful mom!
ReplyDeleteHope all is well your way! Miss you!