Saturday, July 31, 2010

Good Parenting

Helen, asleep in my arms. Please note the unused crib
behind her. Wardrobe provided by Papa.

Although both our children are pretty easy, contented babies, Matthew was definitely the champ when it came to feedings. We set his schedule and you could set your clock by him. He drank his bottles straight from the fridge. That's right, cold. He soothed himself to sleep. Feeding times were predictable and are day was full of routine. We are such good parents.

Then there was Helen.

We've learned a few things from our sweet little snuggle-bug. For instance:

1. I am not my brother.
2. If I am forced to drink from a bottle, it must be warm. Not lukewarm, warm. My Nana did this for me, I see no reason for change.
3. Nursing sessions could last an hour or more. This will be primarily due to my catnaps. Nothing - not changing my diaper or wardrobe or even a cold washcloth on my face- will deter me from sleeping at will. A princess needs her beauty sleep and I intend to get mine.
4. Soothe myself to sleep? Seriously?
5. I prefer a more flexible routine and will pick at least one 3 hour stint to fuss through. This will not be the same time each day, so as not to bore you or daddy.
6. After I finally finish eating, I will require some serious snuggling. This could take awhile. If you try to skip this, I will begin to squawk and eventually wail. I will not stop or tire myself out.

So, there you have it. We were such good parents. Now we're just parents. Parents about to purchase a baby swing and (gasp!), let there child nap in it. Oh, well. I'll let you know how it works...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jenn...I just love you! You are too funny! I'm sure that you all are doing so very wonderful with Miss Helen! I know that all babies are so different, but honestly I'm scared because Connor was such a good scheduled baby!

    Hope things are going well for you guys! Can't wait to meet Helen in Sept & see you all too!

    ReplyDelete